Permanent exhibitions

COUNTY HOUSE - The administrative and exhibition centre of the Orava Gallery

The two-floor brick and Baroque-style building from the end of 17th century with the central Arcadian courtyard was a seat of the Orava County in the past. The front facade of the building is in a neo-Baroque adaptation from 1896. In frontage, between the first and the second floor, right above the main entrance to the building, is a relief polychrome and sandstone coat of arms of the Orava County from the 18th century. The entrance into the building is through a two-wing semicircular closed gate followed by an underpass tunnel with a wagon vault that leads to a main courtyard and ground floor that was used as a prison in the past. In the ground floor are rooted stone cellars. The building is located on Hviezdoslav square, which represented the original historical centre of Dolný Kubín. In 1994, a general reconstruction of the building was completed and the gallery obtained 1.800m2 exposure and exhibition areas.

In 1995, the Orava Gallery made new permanent exhibitions from its own collection:

OPEN:

all year long

Tuesday – Sunday: 10.00 am - 5.00 pm

Monday: closed

ENTRANCE FEE:

CONTACT:

Hviezdoslavovo námestie 11
026 01 Dolný Kubín

Tel.: +421 43 586 3212
E-mail:
orgaldk@vuczilina.sk
ogaleria@nextra.sk
GPS: 49°12'24.83"N; 19°17'50.4"E

SLANICA ISLAND OF ART

In a beautiful countryside of Slanica Island in the middle of the Orava dam are placed permanent exhibitions of traditional folk art from the Orava Gallery’s collections. In the interior of the church is installed the exhibition “Slovak Traditional Folk Sculptures and Paintings”, while in the exterior was created the lapidary “Orava 18th and 19th Century Stone Sculptures”. The exhibition of the floated villages and construction works of the Orava dam is displayed in a former tomb. Thanks to their uniqueness, the exhibitions are among the most visited sights of the Orava region.

SEASON:

from 5th of May, daily

SIGHTSEEING CRUISE COMBINED WITH A TOUR OF THE EXHIBITION ON THE ISLAND

CRUISES FROM THE PORT No. 2 - SLANICKÁ OSADA:

at 9.00 am 11.00 am, 1.00 pm, 3.00 pm, 4.30 (change reserved by OG)

ORDERS, CONTACT - tel. captain: +421 905 915 108

GPS: N49°24'0.33" E19°30'50.12"

ENTRANCE FEE:

ENTRANCE WITH A BOAT TICKET:

the ticket price includes a sightseeing cruise by the boat OG SLANICA and entry to the exhibitions on the island

ticket sales on board the boat OG SLANICA

school groups - one pedagogical supervisor is free for every 10 paying people

TRANSPORT WITH OTHER BOATS – ENTRANCE TO THE ISLAND AND EXHIBITIONS:

The exhibition selectively represents mainly wooden carving sculptures, stone sculptures and paintings on glass made by self-taught folk artist. Most works are from the 18th and 19th century, when Folk Art in Slovakia achieved its biggest boom. All exhibits displayed sacral themes. The way they were displayed was ruled by the moral and aesthetic ideals of Christianity and by the major feasts of the ecclesiastical year. Works followed the iconographic schemes of Gothic, Renaissance and Baroque art, which folk artists often adapted by observations made in their own lives.

Wooden carving sculptures, paintings on glass and exterior stone sculptures depicted, besides figures of Jesus Christ, the Holy Trinity and the Virgin Mary, also the most popular saints as St. John of Nepomuk, St. Florian, St. Wendelin, St. Barbara, St. Catherina, ST. Urban, St. Donatus., etc. Statues were intended to protect from disease and natural disasters, to ensure fertility and good harvest. They were placed in the iconic corners of rooms, roadside chapels, on columns or house facades. The most popular theme was a Marian theme. Mary, as a loving guardian – an intercessor, to which the people looked to in their prayers, became the object of portrayal in many forms, especially in a joyful mother's role - the Madonna with a child, or its a painful counterpart – the Pietà – a mother holding in her arms her dead son. The still living tradition of Marian devotion acquired in folk environment a touching human dimension, to which individual art works added an extraordinary expressive power and a deep conviction. Despite the shape imperfections, works excel in their inner beauty coming out from the sincerity of the religious beliefs of their creators.

MÁRIA MEDVECKÁ GALLERY

The permanent exhibition of the painter born in Orava is installed in the yeoman mansion from 19th century in Tvrdošín — Medvedzie since 1979. In the area of 583 m2 is exhibited 266 oil paintings and drawings representing the lifelong works of a national artist – the painter who connected her life and work to the Orava region.

Mária Medvecká after her study in Bratislava (1942-1945), Vienna (1945-1946) and Prague (1946-1947) returned to her home region Orava, which become her studio. All her work she focused on capturing the transformation of Orava and in her lifelong art works felt a deep attachment to the homeland and its people. From the beginning, Mária Medvecká was a representative of the realistic portrayal of 20th century Slovak art, which she chose as a starting point of her artistic expression. Nevertheless, her realism was not just a description of reality. Her artistic expression is a poetic testimony of reality in the Orava. The truthfulness and persuasiveness of landscapes, portraits and figural composition also result from the basic method of her painter works.

Mária Medvecká was a part of all the major changes that occurred in Orava after World War II. Together with her husband, painter Ctibor Belan, devoted themselves to creative work and significant cultural-educational activities that also resulted in establishing of the Orava Gallery in Dolný Kubín and the Gallery in Tvrdošín, which carries her name. The final resting place of Mária Medvecká and Ctibor Belan is in the cemetery in Tvrdošín – Medvedzie. Author of the tombstone is the sculptor Jaroslav Kubička.

Since 2000, the attic of the gallery “Atelier” is being used for short-termed art exhibitions.

In 2021, we present the work of Ctibor Belan at the exhibition.

SEASON:

from 1rst of May to 30th of September 2021

OPENING HOURS:

Tuesday – Sunday: 10.00 am - 4.00 pm

Monday: closed

ENTRANCE FEE:

CONTACT:

Medvedzie, 027 44 Tvrdošín
GPS: N49°19'57.98" E19°33'3.76"

Tel.: +421 948 197 941

Všetky práva vyhradené | © 2021 | Vyrobil: Oravská galéria